Using the Range
Use of any field archery range is open to all range qualified IWLA Arl/Ffx member in good standing and their guests. The eight target outdoor practice range is open 24-7. The light switches are located on the outside wall of the red shed.. (look hard someone also painted them red).
The 28 target field range is open anytime there is no shoot or work party and when daylight is adequate to shoot safely.
The indoor range may be used anytime the door is open (unscheduled) usually 8am till noon daily, and on a scheduled basis during the winter months only nightly Monday thru Friday 6:30 pm to 9:30 pm. Saturday mornings are reserved for Junior Olympic Archery Development (JOAD). Any range qualified member may use the range afterwards.
The published range rules are posted above the sign-in desk in the indoor range, the sign-in bulletin board at the red shed and at the crossbow station on the table top. Basically the rules address Safety first, courtesy second and preservation of the leagues material and property.
All users of the indoor and outdoor ranges are required to sign in and out, all guests are required to sign the blue release statements. The rules are intended to be user enforced i.e it is the responsibility of member observing unsafe activity to bring it to the attention of the person (in a tactful manner). The member should not respond to a belligerent violator, but report the activity and person’s name if possible to any member of the CRA or IWLA board.
Range Rules & Bylaws
1. APPLICATION: All members and guests shall abide by the safety rules set forth by the IWLA/Cub Run Archers when in the archery areas.
2. SIGN-IN: All IWLA members and guests must sign in and out of the log book and display their range safety badges when using the range facilities.
3. RANGE QUALIFICATIONS: Anyone shooting on the archery ranges must be under the direct supervision of a qualified member. Range qualification shall consist of a visible white safety badge issued by the Arlington-Fairfax Chapter, IWLA.
4. CLUBHOUSE KEYS:
a. Clubhouse keys may be issued to any CRA member who actively participates in and supports the Arlington-Fairfax Chapter, IWLA, field archery program. Participation shall include working in support of one or more of the following activities: (1) grounds maintenance; (2) range maintenance and repair; (3) building maintenance and repair; (4) working at tournaments and club shoots; (5) working as a regularly scheduled range officer (at least once a month) when the indoor range is scheduled to be open; (6) providing a scheduled formal instruction program; (7) any other tasks designated by the CRA executive board.
b. Clubhouse keys may be issued to requesting members upon approval by either the CRA President or Vice President in conjunction with the Director of Indoor Archery and their member’s signature on a key agreement form.
c. Any key holder shall immediately return his/her key if he/she: (1) is no longer a CRA member for any reason; (2) is so requested by a majority vote at any regularly scheduled CRA meeting.
d. All key holders agree to act as Range Officers whenever at the field archery facility. The last key holder leaving the clubhouse is responsible for closing and locking the facility.
5. CHILDREN: Children under the age of eighteen (18) must be in the company of a parent or guardian when in the archery facilities except when shooting in a tournament.
6. PETS: All rules pertaining to pets will be the same as those of the Arlington-Fairfax Chapter, IWLA. All dogs will be kept on a leash and are not allowed in any building with the exception of those dogs which assist seeing impaired persons.
7. CHAPTER EQUIPMENT: All Cub Run Archers archery equipment may be used by any member in good standing. This includes bows, arrows, arrow straightener, arrow cutter, torch and all training videos. This equipment will not be removed from the Cub Run facilities without the permission of the Range Captain or another member of the Board of Directors. All equipment must be used in a safe manner and should be used only after being properly educated on its usage.
8. PERSONAL PROPERTY: No one shall handle or use another’s archery equipment without the owner’s permission.
9. GUESTS: The number of visits allowed per guest each year is defined in the Arlington-Fairfax Chapter, IWLA bylaws, i.e., no more than three (3) visits per year for any guest living within a fifty (50) mile radius of the Chapter. Non-members of the Chapter will not be permitted to use any archery range unless accompanied by a club member. Prior to shooting on any archery range, a guest must sign the log book and complete the Guest Release statement. A $5 guest fee may be charged for each visit. Arlington-Fairfax Chapter, IWLA members are responsible for the conduct and actions of their guests.
10. ETIQUETTE: If more than four (4) archers are shooting, limit the number of arrows shot per group to four (4).
11. PROHIBITIONS: Crossbows may only be used at the crossbow station practice targets and are NOT allowed on any of the archery ranges at any time. Anyone observed shooting a crossbow on the ranges or shooting broadhead-tipped arrows at other than targets expressly designated for that purpose will be referred to the Arlington-Fairfax Chapter, IWLA Board of Directors for disciplinary action. Equipment deemed to be unsafe by the Range Captain or a range qualified Cub Run member shall be removed from the vicinity of the archery ranges immediately upon request.
12. RANGE MODIFICATION: Any range modifications including the placement and use of temporary or permanent targets shall be at the direction and/or approval of the Range Captain. Unauthorized targets left on the ranges will be confiscated.
13. SAFETY RULES:
a. Never load an arrow on the bowstring until ready to shoot
b. Always keep a loaded bow pointed down range
c. Never walk the field or 3-D range in reverse order; proceed from target in numerical order until the path returns to the exit from the range.
d. Always make sure that the target, shooting lanes, and nearby areas are clear before drawing and shooting your bow.
e. Never retrieve arrows until all archers are finished shooting. At the target butts, never stand behind anyone who is pulling arrows.
f. Always place the red/orange flag on your bow across the target face when looking for lost or pass-through arrows.
g. Do not litter the archery ranges.
h. All arrows found on the range shall be returned to the archery field house for return to their owners.
i. Never draw a bow with the arrow pointed above the horizontal position or straight up. Either situation can cause a serious accident.
j. Shoot only from designated marked distance stakes in front of each target. Never shoot from anywhere off the trails.
k. During tournament or club shoots, any more than six (6) or fewer than three (3) shooters in a group must be approved by the Range Captain or tournament chairperson.
14. CLUBHOUSE AND INDOOR RANGE: The CRA clubhouse and indoor range will be open whenever a Range Officer is in attendance.
15. CHANGES: The Arlington-Fairfax Chapter, IWLA, Cub Run Archers may add rules pertaining to the safety of the archery facilities, range, and users at any time. These rules are effective immediately and will be posted at the range facilities and published in the newsletter.
Bylaws & Rules: Cub Run Archers 2003